Be In The Know

Facts And Happenings In Our Countries And The World At Large

Thursday 17 December 2015

Transgender Discrimination; Equal Rights For Transgenders

A BEAUTY pageant wannabe was axed from the final of a top national beauty contest after officials discovered she was transgender.
If a country allows people to become transgenders, then they should also ensure that these transgenders have equal rights. Just saying.......


Jossy Yendall, 28, was competing for the Miss Galaxy 2016 crown but was told at the last minute she wasn't eligible as she was not born a female.
But stunned Jossy claimed she told organisers from the outset she is transgender and published it in the first sentence on her application webpage.

The activities co-ordinator from Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, said she felt discriminated against because of her gender transition, which began over a decade ago.
She said: "Miss Galaxy said in an email that I'm not eligible to take part in the competition because I am transgender.
"But a transgender woman is a woman, and this rejection kind of makes me feel like I'm less of one.'
Jossy explicitly stated on her website that she was transgender ahead of the competition.

The blurb says: "I am a transgender woman looking to get agency signed. I believe that transgender women are under-represented in the media and this needs to change."

Jossy, who was born Craig, began living as a woman at 17 and started taking hormones when she was 25. She got a full gender reassignment when she was 27 in December last year.

Jossy added: "I never felt comfortable in my own body. My mum said I was special, but once I got the operation my life changed overnight.
"I was determined to became a female model."

Holly Pirrie, director of the Miss Galaxy competition, explained that the website is not an official application, and missing this was "an oversight."

No comments:

Post a Comment